Traditional authority. One of the puzzling aspects of African politics is the prominence of non-state, 'traditional' figures of authority. This project studies these authorities comparatively, e.g. with a focus on their role in property rights enforcement, and historically by making use of the natural experiment of colonialism.
Indigeneship and inequality in Nigeria. Based on an original large-N data covering 8 Nigerian cities as well as qualitative fieldwork, this project looks into the dynamics of indigeneship, Nigeria's subnational variety of citizenship.
Nativism in Europe and Africa. Originally an American concept, the notion of nativism is helpful in understanding patterns of ethnic and other identity politics across the world. This project analyses the historical development of nativism comparatively, with particular focus on the Netherlands and Nigeria.
The many transformations of Boko Haram. This project uses secondary sources and life history data of Boko Haram members to study the development of the insurgency movement.
Food sustainability. Together with colleagues from a range of disciplines at LUC, we are working on an interdisciplinary textbook on food security for the Global Challenge courses on Sustainability and Prosperity.
- Mustapha, A. R. and Ehrhardt, D., eds (2018) Creed and grievance: interfaith relations in northern Nigeria, James Currey.
- Ehrhardt, D. (2018). "Radicalisation dans le nord du Nigeria: Histoires de Boko Haram" in De Bruijn, M. Biographies de la Radicalisation, Langaa Publishers (pre-published version here)
- Ehrhardt, D. and Ibrahim, J. (2018) "The significant minority: Christians and Christianity in northern Nigeria", in Creed and grievance: interfaith relations in northern Nigeria.
- Mustapha, A. R., R. Diprose, and D. Ehrhardt (2018) "Historical Contexts of Muslim-Christian Encounters in Northern Nigeria" in Creed and grievance: interfaith relations in northern Nigeria.
- Mustapha, A. R. and D. Ehrhardt (2018) "Diversity, Religious Pluralism, and Democracy" in Creed and grievance: interfaith relations in northern Nigeria.
- Ami V. Shah, David Ehrhardt & Oliver Owen (2018) "Obituary: Professor Abdul Raufu Mustapha, 1954–2017", Oxford Development Studies, 46:1, 1-2
- Ehrhardt, D. (2017) "The citizen and the native: indigeneship, belonging, and bureaucratic discretion in Kano", African Affairs, October.
- Ehrhardt, D. (2016) "Janus' voice: religious leaders, framing, and riots in Kano" Contemporary Islam.
- Ehrhardt, D. (2016) "Who shall enter paradise? Christian origins in Muslim Northern Nigeria, c. 1890–1975, written by Shobana Shankar", Social Sciences and Missions, 29: 1-2, pp. 195-197.
- Ehrhardt, D. (2011) The politics of West Africa", OBO, November.
- Perceptions of shari'a implementation in northern Nigeria - 15 years on (working paper, under revision).
- A history of ethnic identities in the Netherlands (with Jan Willem Duyvendak, under revision).
- Pathways to radicalisation: life histories of Boko Haram members (with Sani Umar; under revision).
- Endgame scenarios for Boko Haram (with Sani Umar; under revision)
- Religious leadership and governance in Kano (NRN Working Paper).
Policy & professional
- Facilitated training workshops on social-sector development in Abuja (2018)
- Facilitated training workshops on indigeneity in Kaduna, Abuja, and Lagos (2015)
- Comparative perspectives on the evolution of the JAS insurgency and its future scenarios (with NRN)
- Religious and ideological dimensions of radicalisation (with NRN)
- Indigeneity, belonging and religious freedom (with NRN)
- Informal institutions and peace in northern Nigeria
- Interfaith relations in northern Nigeria (with NRN)
- Islamic actors and interfaith relations in northern Nigeria (with NRN)
- Terrorist black holes (with Rem Korteweg)
Media & online
My media profile at Science on Air can be found here
- 'Vetes tussen herders en boeren veroorzaken geweld in Nigeria' (newspaper interview Trouw)
- 'Nigeria mist president' (radio interview NPO 1)
- 'Geest van verdwenen land Biafra nog altijd springlevend' (radio interview NPO 1)
- 'Olieland Nigeria zit zonder benzine' (radio interview NPO 1)
- 'Bloedbad in Nigeria' (radio interview NPO 1)
- 'Wie zijn de strijders van Boko Haram?' (radio interview BNR)
- 'Reportage: Nigeria naar de stembus' (radio interview NPO 1)
- 'Nigeria: Boko Haram in de campagne' (radio interview NPO 1, with Inge Ligtvoet)
- Koloniaal verleden verdeelt Nigeria (Kennislink interview)
- Nigeria at war (blog post)
- 'Boko Haram roept kalifaat uit in noord-Nigeria' (radio interview NPO 1, with Femke van Zeijl)
- A matter of words (opinion article)
- Fragmented power and Nigerian politics (blog post)
- Nederlandse Brain Train behoeft nieuw spoorboekje (opinion article, with Ton van den Bremer)
- Goed voor de carriere en goed voor de achterstandsschool (news article, with Farid Boussaid)
- Als je een onderwijsplan jat, jat 't dan goed (news article)
- Organised workshops on public service delivery in contexts of hybrid governance and political brokerage (Leiden University) 2017
- Oxford Ethnography Conference (University of Oxford, UK) 2017
- Co-organiser of FGGA Research Seminar Series (Leiden University, The Hague) 2016-2018
- Conference on Identities and Contested Visions of Human Security (NTU, Taipei) 2016
- African Studies Association Annual Meeting 2014, 2015
- NSRP workshop on Radicalisation and Counter-radicalisation 2014
- African Studies Centre seminar series at Leiden University 2012
- Islam Research Programme (Abuja project) conference 2012
- Islam Research Programme conference 2012
- Conference on Horizontal Inequalities and Conflict Prevention (UNDP) 2011
- RC21 Conference of the International Sociological Association 2011
- Biennial Conference of the African Studies Association of the UK 2010
- Annual Researching Africa Day St Antony's College Oxford 2010, 2009
- Development Studies Association Annual Conference 2009
- Development Dialogue at the ISS 2009
- CRISE seminar series (Oxford University) 2009, 2008
- British Sociological Association Annual Conference 2009
- Conference on 'Rethinking ethnicity and ethnic strife: multidisciplinary perspective' at CEU 2008
- Struggling to belong: nativism, identities, and urban social relations in Kano and Amsterdam (D.Phil, Oxford Department of International Development 2012)
- Authoritative voices: informal authorities and conflict resolution in Kano, Nigeria (M.Phil, Oxford Department of International Development 2007)
- Cultural conflict: culture and ethnicity in the civil wars in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina (BA Honour's Thesis, University College Utrecht 2004)